- What looks dangerous at first can slowly reveal its charm, but the element of danger shouldn’t be forgotten. Sometimes a hard face is needed in the dark street of a strange city. Cocktails with only white rum are a form of wisdom.
- There is very little anxiety in travel when not responsible for a family. What will be, will be. It is possible to remember the frisson of riding around a non-English speaking city alone and be energised.
- My body clock tick tocks with complete independence and will not bow to mob rule. Three short nights’ sleep will take six days of lie ins, early nights and naps to recover from.
- Even if I want to be part of giving my baby sister the best hen party ever, so much of the self cannot be given away without consequence. It is possible to have fun and be ruined at the same time. But do I want to?
- Tiredness can manifest in physical wounds, especially when not paying attention to the oven shelf. Although entirely accidental, once it’s there the wound will feel necessary. If it refuses to heal in plain sight, it needs covering and time to let the bad stuff out, time to form stronger and yet more tender skin.
- Reflections can take a while to compost down and bloom. There may be no words in Barca. On return there may be one third of an A5 page with two scant columns. Two weeks later, this. Self-care love notes, and the gift of seeing the self clearly, even if just for a moment.Thank you, Barcelona.